Tuesday 10 March 2009

Drumming: Being the second (or third) banana


Some shoes are hard to fill. Jason Bonham is not really cutting it on the whole Led Zep thing, although he's doing quite well compared to me. I'm more on the Julian to John Lennon ratio axis when it comes to filling John Shep's shoes. 

John is a bit older, cultured and talented. Which is why he probably doesn't like sitting in a tourbus and rooming with snoring people. This let's me get a look-in, which is lovely, but it does have one major downside:

People think I'm him.... and then look really disappointed when they realise I'm not. Drummers, like all musicians (term applied loosely), attract musos - people for whom the technique is everything. John, quite rightly, attracts drum geeks. I can't count the amount of times that I've winced seeing a small group of guys (it's always men) at the front, eagerly waiting for some hot stick action. And then they look... puzzled? Bemused? They nudge each other, looking confused - I can pretty much lipread in any language when I know what they're saying is "It can't be him? No, no definitely not." 

And then, b y the third song, they shey shrug and go to the bar. 

On the plus side, I believe I compare reasonably well to Keith, the first drummer. The man kept good time and all, but he did throw a chair at Chris, I believe. I myself have an impeccable non-chair-throwing record and pride myself on this accordingly. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment